The Spanish tortilla is one of the great comfort foods of Spain! From my own personal experience, most Spaniards will tell you that his grandmother (or mother) makes the best tortilla in Spain. My experience is that any Spaniard makes it better than me!
Here is the recipe:
- 1 Cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Large Potatoes (peeled and THINLY sliced, like <3mm)
- 4 - 5 Large Eggs
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion (thinly sliced)
- Salt to taste
* Optional Red Pepper (thinly sliced)
1. Heat Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a 9-inch skillet.
2. Add potato slices one at a time (they tend to stick together if you just dump them in the pan)
3. Add onion slices.
4. Cook slowly over a medium flame. Turn occasionally until potatoes are tender (not brown!)
5. Beat eggs in a large bowl.
6. Add salt to taste.
7. Drain potatoes.
8. Add potatoes and onions to eggs and mix gently so that the egg covers the potatoes and onions.
9. Let sit for 10 minutes.
10. Heat 2 Tbsps of Olive Oil in large skillet.
11. Add potato-onion-egg mix into skillet. Spread to completely cover skillet (like a cake batter in a cake pan). SHAKE PAN TO PREVENT STICKING (IMPORTANTE... or rather IMPORTANT)
12. When potatoes start to brown, place a large, flat plate on top of the skillet and flip on to plate. Add 1 Tbsp of Olive Oil into skillet. Slide food back into skillet to cook the other side.
* You are allowed to flip more than once for better cooking, but the pros only flip once :~P
Here are some picture of mi amor cooking Tortilla Española for dinner.
Typically, the pros, when making tortilla have a special flipping dish that is also used as a serving dish.
We don't actually have this or a flat plate. We have used a large plate that has a small lip, which seems to work alright but does make the flipping a bit more difficult. It would be a trip if we had one of these!
My favorite place to eat tortilla was at the university that I studied at. They put a strip of the tortilla on a small fresh baguette (MMMmmm my mouth is watering remembering it!). The best tortilla I have ever had, with the exception of the two Albert made, is the tortilla that my Spanish-English conversation partner & friend's Mom made for el día de los reyes magos (the three magic kings). Mmmmm.
Location: Mi casa
Sounds: Mi amor in the shower and laundry going
Extra: Had a great birthday weekend!
Thanks for reading :~)